Monday, July 25, 2011

Tonkatsu @ Pavilion KL

Tonkatsu @ Pavilion KL

I was out shopping with Ervin at Pavilion KL and when I asked what he wants for lunch, he wanted Japanese food which is of course a good choice because I really wanted to try this restaurant ever since I read about this on Eat Drink KL. It was either Ben's or this and since he wanted Japanese, Tonkatsu was the choice.

This restaurant took over the previous Italian On Six outlet. There were some changes on the 6th floor of Pavilion as I guess business wasn't doing so well on the top floor. Named after the dish "breaded & deep fried pork cutlets" in Japan, this place does serve a variety of pork Katsu dishes! This is really the place to satisfy one's porcine cravings.



There were a few signature Katsu dishes to choose from. There are breaded deep fried pork loins, pork cutlet, prawns and chicken which are available in set menu that comes with a miso soup, rice and cold tofu. Prices range from RM20+ to RM30+ a set.



In order to try a little of everything, Ervin suggests that I should try the Chicken Katsu + Hire Katsu + Rosu Katsu Zen (RM32) which consists of breaded and deep fried chicken, pork fillet and pork loin served with thinly sliced cabbage. I am very impressed with the dish as the meat was tender and juicy. No excessive chewing is needed as the meat were not overcooked. The cabbage was a good combination as it compliments the fried dishes well. I suggest you drizzle some salad dressing on the cabbage.

I find the miso soup a plus factor to visit this place. The miso soup was filled with carrot slices, meat, mushrooms and also the Japanese seaweed jelly which made the soup sweet and flavourful but not too overpowering.




He had the Buta Shogayaki Zen (RM26) which is slices of pork belly with ginger. The pork belly was tender with the right amount of fat layers which is really good. The best thing was the ginger wasn't too overpowering as I hate ginger! Eating these dishes with rice is a must!



Japanese Green Tea

I am very happy with my lunch and would definitely make a return trip here soon. It does serve very good quality of pork but of course the finest of all Tonkatsu in my opinion would be the one using the Kurobuta (black pig) from Japan.


Tonkatsu
Lot 6.12, Level 6, Pavilion KL
Jalan Bukit Bintang
Kuala Lumpur, 50480
Tel: +603-2144 2292


21 comments:

KY said...

it's nice kan? next time if u're there during weekdays give me a ring! :D

eiling lim said...

Sure KY!

Anonymous said...

well I hope to go back there again n try their side dishes. N I am still sticking to the pork belly set. Yum Yum!

Anonymous said...

well I hope to go back there again n try their side dishes. N I am still sticking to the pork belly set. Yum Yum!

eiling lim said...

Anon: Yeah i wanna go back and try the others too!

J2Kfm said...

Yes! and I rmbr eating kurobuta tonkatsu in Singapore. Such lucky people, paying dollar for dollar the same price for premium pork. Hmm.

Anyway, on a side note, had tonkatsu last week at Kissaten. Not shabby either.

Edi神 said...

nice place... but u go alone?

Sean said...

i hear that there'll be a new "japanese-inspired" precinct soon on pavilion's sixth floor, called "tokyo street." we can look forward to more japanese restaurants there! :D

ulric said...

Yes...can't wait for Tokyo Street to open...gonna try this first:

http://www.pavilion-kl.com/content/store_guide_detail.php?cat=5&catc=27&str=491

Santouka Hokkaido Ramen's Tokusen Toroniku Ramen with pork cheek meat...wuhooooooo :)

suituapui said...

That one's pork belly... Looks like kway teow. Those thin layers of the fat? Gosh!!! :P:!!!

eiling lim said...

J2KFM: Ooh I haven't try Kissaten either but would love to have a Kurobuta tonkatsu soon.

Edi: Nope

Sean: Yeah it's called Tokyo District or something like that. Looks interesting.

Ulric: Yeah am looking forward too.

STP: Heheh... salivating already?

Anonymous said...

Pork belly is use in a number of fine recipes that burst in taste and flavor. It's really unique.

R.S.

nanang said...

Ok, next time you fly to SG make sure you try this TONKICHI, located in Nge Ann City level 5 just opposite of CRYSTAL JADE Resto if i am not mistaken, or another outlet is in SOMERSET 313. See which one is better, my tonkichi is a must everytime i fly down to SG hahaha

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had problems with hackers and
I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

my blog ... Golf Putting

Anonymous said...

Hey...
Using this article you sum up quite a few of the more important pieces of information!


Enjoyable to read through & full of valuable suggestions.

Many thanks for sharing Blogger: 3iLinG!

my web-site How to Golf

Anonymous said...

As always, so insightful & helpful blog post on Blogger: 3iLinG.
.
Appreciate it.

Also visit my blog post Shooting Games

Anonymous said...

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Bleak! Anyway, just wanted to say great blog!
My wife and I frequently publish guest posts for other weblog owners to help gain exposure to our work, as well as provide terrific articles to site owners. It truly is a win win situation! If you are interested feel free to contact me so we can talk further. Thanks!

Here is my page; Desktop Gadgets

Anonymous said...

Really useful write-up on Blogger: 3iLinG...
Always keep posting..

My web site :: best iPhone app
Also see my webpage: top 100 apps

Anonymous said...

Excellent read! I've added your rss feeds to my Google reader.

my web page: golf pitching

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if you are looking for a article
author for your site. You have some really good posts and I feel I would be a good asset.

If you ever want to take get some new content, I'd love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please drop me an email if interested.
Cheers!

Also visit my blog - vehicle app
my site - vehicle app

Anonymous said...

Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this website. It's simple, yet effective.
A lot of times it's very hard to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and visual appearance. I must say that you've done a excellent job with this.
In addition, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Firefox.

Outstanding Blog!

Stop by my blog post - Golf App

3iLinG © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO