Thursday, June 16, 2011

Eggs anyone? @ Philippines

My flight to Manila this time was really interesting. Firstly, I had a guy suddenly walk up to me at boarding gate and lifted my luggage from the back to be pushed through the scanner. I was quite surprised because in the first place, I didn't need any help. Maybe he was just being a gentleman. but he kept on asking which hotel I'm staying at. Then I was surprised that no one sat in between of me and another passenger though I was told the flight is full. Then, suddenly the air steward came and asked me if I mind a gentleman came and sat beside me and it happened to be the guy who lifted my bag. Scary! During the whole journey, I just read my Times magazine and sleep so that I don't need to have any conversations with him.


I had to wait in line to use the lavatory and at the galley, stood a very good looking air steward with a well-built body frame. Just before my turn, he went in and clean up the lavatory for me to use. It was a very nice and professional act. Then, I requested for a copy of The Star newspaper. The same good looking air steward came back and he whispered to me, "Sorry mdm, I couldn't get you the star but I got you The Star newspapers!" Lol.. I was speechless. Yes, cheesy but I'm happy. hahah....


There, I was served a plate of eggs....



Ok... I think I knew what those eggs were! I would love to try the balut when in the philippines. And they go "huh?!! really?!!" and I said yeah! And these eggs on the table that greeted me were indeed balut eggs. Well, in a nutshell, balut is a boiled, fertilized egg, a popular food in the Philippines which is sold by the street vendors and it's only 7 pesos each. Apparently, the balut is taken as an aphrodisiac especially for men!


I was quite hungry actually. And I can't wait for the meeting to be over to eat some eggs! We used some hot water to warm up the eggs as the eggs are already cooked.



To eat it, you'll have to knock the rounded end of the egg and start peeling from there. You're also supposed to sip the broth around the embryo as you start peeling the shell. The broth tasted like chicken stock. I didn't feel any unpleasantness from it.



Wait till you finish peeling the whole egg. There are actually 3 parts of the fertilized egg. There's the egg part that looks like hard boiled egg yolk (with veins) and the stone part which has an unappetizing cartilaginous toughness. I did not take it due to the hardy texture. The main part is where the young chick is. It's soft and slippery.




I must say that eating the young chick part was quite a challenge as you can see the intestines and feathers that surrounded that part of the egg. Well, I must say that I've been quite brave to eat it in 3 bites. Even some people dare not do it as they will usually eat the whole thing in one bite. The texture is gooey like how an offal would taste like. And the taste is something like a hard-boiled egg yolk except that it's jelly-like. You can also eat it with salt and vinegar.

The tip for 1st time eating it is to not look at the egg when you eat it so that it doesn't look that disgusting. When you start looking hard, you'll find the beak, the eyes and the head! Then you won't want to eat at all!

Enjoy the video. That is my 2nd egg. I'm glad I wasn't scared to eat it and I have gotten over the fear factor! But now I doubt anyone would want to kiss me now...





And I think I'm overdose on eggs that day. I had scrambled eggs at the lounge for breakfast, I had eggs in the plane, and then I had another 2 baluts. My cholesterol must be on the highest level!



Advertorial:

The gaming phone is here - Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. It is afterall the world's 1st PlaystationCertified Android smartphone. With a perfect combination of a gamepad smartphone and a Playstation Portable (PSP) and convenient for gamers and non-gamers alike, you'll have to grab this phone!

Sign up with Celcom, and you'll be rewarded!

Once you sign up, you'll enjoy these additional surprises:


- FREE Multimedia Dock DK300


- FREE exclusive games


- Stand a chance to participate in Sony Ericsson Xperia Play gaming contest to win RM100,000!



From as low as RM848, click here for more info.

26 comments:

suituapui said...

Eyewwwwwww....!!! No, thank you! Only a classy lady like you can eat that thing with style. I'd probably throw up all over the place. LOL!!!

Kenshin Asuka said...

Personally I don't mind eating baluts or even kissing a lady who eats baluts. I have to give the most unique delicacy a try. ^_^

Shiang @ H2S said...

wah salute! pic of it also goey d.... :|

Anonymous said...

oh my god... geli betul le... i betul betul salute you...
(from Weimei)

CUMI & CIKI said...

totally gross woman! haha. well done for being so brave:P

KY said...

I wanna try this!!

Sean said...

ooo, i remember having balut too, some years back when i was on a work trip to cebu. ya, most of my colleagues refused to try it! but it's quite ok, cos it might look disgusting but it doesn't taste disgusting...

J2Kfm said...

That picture with descriptions completely threw me off my appetite! Haha ... really like a half (or 3/4) formed chick! How to bite its head n beak anyway?

John said...

I know a lot of folks who don’t eat eggs (they’re allergic, for health reasons, or concerns about animal cruelty). Here’s an awesome site that gives tips on cooking and baking without eggs: http://EggFreeLiving.com

Huai Bin said...

I loved the video Eiling!

I agree with STP, only you can pull off eating balut with such style. :)

eiling lim said...

STP: But when you're hungry, probably you can gulp 3 eggs at one go! hhaa

Kenshin: Yeah you'll have to give this a try!

Shiang: Don't stare at it for too long or else you won't want to eat it.

Wei mei: Haha... I buy some for u ok?

Cumi & Ciki: Thanks babe!

KY: go!!

Sean: Wow, you're also very adventurous. It's true it doesn't taste disgusting.

J2Kfm: If it's too hard, you can just take it out like a fish bone. Everything is soft and gooey so i won't know if I'm biting the head.

John: Sure.

Huai Bin: Thanks. And next time I want to see your video! haha

li wei said...

hey...careful when someone touches ur bag at the airport..u'll neva know if they actually slip some drugs into ur bag without u knowing...

on the other hand...ewww..cannot believe u had more than one balut...memang brave...salute!

eiling lim said...

Li Wei: Thanks for the tips. yeah I was quite surprised when he lifted my luggage. next time I should bring some back for u guys to try! haha

Anonymous said...

Highly descriptive article, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?
My site ... Popflops

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Its in fact amazing post, I have got much clear idea about from
this piece of writing.
Look at my weblog - divinedestinycareercoaching.com

Anonymous said...

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet people,
its really really pleasant post on building up new weblog.
my web site - 11 Inch Standard & Designer Colors Latex Balloons (100 Count)

Anonymous said...

Remarkable! Its truly remarkable piece of writing,
I have got much clear idea on the topic of from this paragraph.
My web site - vertnet.ca

Anonymous said...

You really make it seem really easy together with
your presentation but I to find this topic to be really
one thing which I think I might by no means understand.

It seems too complex and extremely wide for me.
I am taking a look forward for your subsequent
publish, I'll attempt to get the dangle of it!
Take a look at my web page :: http://Unforked.com/locations.php

Anonymous said...

always i used to read smaller content which also clear their motive, and that is also
happening with this paragraph which I am reading now.
Here is my blog :: www.candecarpetsandvents.com

Anonymous said...

Good day I am so grateful I found your blog, I really found you by accident, while
I was browsing on Google for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just
like to say cheers for a fantastic post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love
the theme/design), I don't have time to read through it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.
My web site: hpv in women treatment

Anonymous said...

Hi there, its pleasant piece of writing concerning
media print, we all know media is a great source of data.
Take a look at my webpage - www.cafepress.com

Anonymous said...

I'd like to find out more? I'd want to find out some
additional information.
Here is my web-site - Kauai

Anonymous said...

Hello There. I found your weblog using msn. That is an extremely smartly written article.
I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your helpful information.
Thank you for the post. I'll certainly comeback.
Feel free to visit my web-site ... sanstreet.com.sg

Anonymous said...

I don't even understand how I finished up right here, however I assumed this put up was great. I don't recognize who you're but certainly you're going to a
famous blogger in the event you are not already. Cheers!
Feel free to surf my web site ... home Cinemas

Anonymous said...

I do not know whether it's just me or if everyone else experiencing issues with your site. It appears like some of the written text on your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This may be a problem with my browser because I've had this happen
before. Many thanks

Stop by my web blog LED Lighting

Anonymous said...

Hey I κnoω this is off topic but I wаs ωоndeгing if you knew of any widgets
I сould add tο my blog that automаtically tωeet my newest twitter upԁates.
I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

Stop by my weblog DiamondLinks.net Review

3iLinG © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO