Monday, November 29, 2010

Xin Chun Steamboat Restaurant @ Kota Damansara

I was invited by Shereen and the kind owner for a steamboat dinner on Hari Raya Haji. Shereen told me that this is her favourite steamboat restaurant and had wanted me to try this place for months but I haven't had time to join her for a dinner and thus that day was a perfect day as it was a public holiday!


Lucky I was there early together with my sisters as the place was already packed by the time we reached there at 7pm. We managed to get a table just outside on the pavement of the restaurant. I can see that they had tents on the walkway in between the shops to cater for the crowd that night.


Ziling & the giant menu!

For a start, their menu is really big! It's by far the biggest menu I've ever seen! There are 2 types of set menu available. The standard Pulau Ketam Set menu is only RM13.50 per pax and then there is this Executive set priced at RM26.50 per pax where you get an array of fresh white pomfret, tiger prawn and mussels. We had the privilege to try both the sets.


The owner of this restaurant is really young. I heard Shereen telling me that Mr. Chew is only 25 years old. So young! He and his brother in law trawled the village of Pulau Ketam to search for the freshest ingredients for the steamboat. Therefore, the ingredients here are fresh and choices are bountiful.



You can choose between a clear soup broth or the spicy tom yum soup. We wanted both and thus we had a pot with 2 compartments - 1 for clear soup and the other for the tom yum. I found that the tom yum is rather spicy. Give me the clear soup anytime as I am not a fan of spiciness. Sliced pork (RM15) and beef are also available.



Crab Bihun (RM39)
The crabs are bountiful and the noodles is flavourful. I would actually prefer more noodles than crabs though.


It's not all steamboat though as they do serve other dishes like the Crab Bihun that we had that night. There are also Lala fried noodles, deepfried dumplings (RM8), Fried Sotong (squids), deepfried fish head and steamed kepah (RM16) as well as crabs done in various styles.



The clams is steamed with rice wine with shredded ginger and wolfberry to add to the flavour. However I felt this dish isn't up to my expectation as it lacked wine and ginger. The taste is just isn't one of the best that I have tried.



Overall the dinner is satisfactory and the Lim sisters are happy. Most importantly, the ingredients are fresh and the fishballs were very good as they were bouncy and springy. I think the prices here are very reasonable too! I love steamboat on a rainy day...



Xin Chun Steamboat Restaurant
No. 15-1, Ground Floor Jalan PJU 5/3,
Dataran Sunway, 47810 Kota Damansara, Selangor.
(same row as 7-11 & Ambank)
Tel: +6012-544 5582

Opens daily from 5pm to 12.30am daily.


15 comments:

suituapui said...

Young? The owner's very young? Hey, Eiling!! What are you waiting for? Muahahahahaha!!!!

This Kota Damansara's full of nice eating places - somebody posted on some Mum's place - homecooked food, somewhat nyonya...and is the new Asia City there or something? My place for Sarawak noodles there - closed down already, I hear... Sigh!!!

CUMI & CIKI said...

a great write up! you are making hungrrrry!

eiling lim said...

STP: HAHA... Oh well.. maybe he's attached? Lol.. the Mum's place is in Damansara Perdana, which is quite near to The Curve too.

YilingL said...

I'm dying for a steamboat here! Cold rainy days...

KY said...

oO the crab meehun looks good!

eiling lim said...

YilingL: Can't you make your own steamboat?

KY: yeah it's good!

choi yen said...

Now is the best time to have steamboat, raining everyday~~

thule a.k.a leo said...

everytime I passed by this restaurant.. it's closed :) because it is still early in the morning!!!
Steamboat is a luxury that Jenn & I don't get to eat nowadays... coz it's troublesome to bring the daughter along, especially when she can't sit still

Sean said...

Gosh, 25 years old. I don't think I would have had the courage and imagination back when I was 25 to start my own restaurant :D
My family from malacca will be coming up soon for the Christmas season. This looks like a good place to take them for Chinese food that isn't too pricey but still tasty!

eiling lim said...

Choi Yen: Yeah I don't mind eating steamboat a few times a week!

Thule: ooh she's too young to be able to learn to enjoy steamboat. maybe when she gets a little older where she can sit still.

Sean: ooh have fun with your parents. You should have taken them to all the fine dining you had! haha..

goldflower86 said...

wow the crab! wow so young! hahaha. agree with cikgu. LOL!food look delish and make me hungry>.<

eiling lim said...

goldflower86: Hi.. you must be coming from STP's blog. Yeah Mr Chew is a very young owner. So jealous!

Anonymous said...

А! Hallo, Ich habe Ihr Blog über Google bei der Suche nach Erster Hilfe für einen Herzinfarkt und Ihre Post sieht sehr interessant für mich.

Anonymous said...

Das ist wirklich mein Problem gelöst, danke!

Anonymous said...

You’d believe together with the multi gazillion cash of investment that wikipedia could acquire some much more servers..

3iLinG © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO