Monday, March 01, 2010

Fancy to Sabre a Champagne?

If you feel bored popping the cork everytime you wanna have a Champagne, have you try popping it with a sword instead? Ooh, it's very interesting and I'll show you why!

The legend has it that in the olden days, when the officers of Napoleon’s army returned home after a victory, cheering townspeople would hand bottles of Champagne as tokens of their appreciation for their victory and gallantry. It's quite a task to remove both the foil, wire basket (muselet) around the cork and the cork (bouchon) at the same time when on a horse and so the soldiers simply took out their sabers and struck it against the lip of the bottle with an upward blow and saber-ed off the cork.



It was quite an enjoyable cum eye-opening experience at Max@iHaus because Max Chin gave us a demonstration on how he saber-ed off the champagne cork. He told us that he is also one of the member of the Confrérie du Sabre d'Or which is a home to sabrage, devoted to promoting the act of Sabrage and the enjoyment of Champagne.

After he saber-ed the first bottle, he handed the second bottle to me. Honestly, I thought it was easy but it's actually not. I do not have the skills of a steady hand and a strong heart. It took me three attempts to do it and that is also done with the help of Max!


I shall saber you!!!

The tip is to chill the Champagne well, especially at the neck of the champagne. To do this, the neck must be icy cold! "Don't do it warm unless you want to have an orgasmic spray". The colder the better. Remove the foil wrapper and the wire basket. Grasp the bottle firmly by the base and point away from onlookers. "locate one of the two vertical seams running up the side of the bottle" to the lip. That intersection is where you'll aim your saber".

Run your saber or knife (blunt edge toward the bottle's lip) back along the neck toward your body, then quickly and firmly thrust it back toward the bottle's tip, striking the lip sharply. I recommend that you do it a solid-through!


After the ring and cork went flying, you can commence pouring and call for a toast!

Don't worry, it's completely safe to drink as the pressure inside the bottle of Champagne (100psi) ensures that no glass falls back into the bottle making it safe to drink the spoils.


This is the ring of the bottle still attached to the cork!

And now I leave you to enjoy the video on how to sabre the champagne the right way!




That's a cherry popped for Champagne Sabre-ing!!!

For your info. The chef Max chin is no longer attached to iHaus from Sept. His new and upcoming restaurant will be revealed soon in October 2010! So stay tuned!

27 comments:

TheGunner said...

Interesting stuff this one. You're right that the bottle needs to be as cold as possible at the neck, because otherwise you can't have a clean break of the bottle.

When are you gonna sabre me a bottle?

Sean said...

yikes! that sword looks dangerously close to your neck, even if it's the blunt edge! looks really interesting though, i never knew this method existed =)

Anonymous said...

Prostitution is the practice of engaging in sex acts for hire. With more and more blog and twitter for hire, soon will become a whore.

eiling lim said...

The Gunner: You're so right! That's why we chilled the bottle upside down. But I don't have ze sabre!!!

Sean: Nah, it's quite blunt actually. Next time when you ordered a champagne at Max, ask him!

Anon: So are you reading with eyes closed since this is obscenity and if a blog is a whore and you're reading it, what makes you?

suituapui said...

What a waste! I would expect all champagne to pop! LOL!!!

P.S. Good answer, girl...and I guess yunno which one I'm talking about!

TheGunner said...

Buy lah!!! =P

Does this work on wine bottles as well?

CUMI & CIKI said...

remind me of Cameron diaz in that show! very cool!

Simon said...

interesting .. i want to sabre too. but i need someone like u to sponsor me the champagne.

i wonder where the townspeople get their champagne bottle chilled.

Anonymous said...

wah, please don't cut off my c**k like that! i would be very scared to see you

TY said...

Did that when I was in France, did you try it just on your own ?

rainbow mushroom said...

how i wish i was there! :P

Myhorng said...

amazing.

Myhorng said...

amazing.

Huai Bin said...

I've always wanted to sabre a champagne bottle. T_T

We go next time k?

eiling lim said...

STP: Nevertheless a good experience. Yeah I know who you are refering too! *wink*

The Gunner: Errr... you buy la. Yeah I heard you can use this on wine bottles too.

Cumi & Ciki: Waahh....

Simon: haha... that was a legend. You can definitely afford a champagne la!

Anon: I don't cut people's co*k. only bottle corks!

TY: I try it one my own and failed and so lastly I asked Max to guide me. hehe

Myhorng: Try it!!

Huai Bin: Yeah we could. You sponsor the champagne!

eiling lim said...

rainbow mushroom: I wished you were! Nevermind, there's always another opportunity.

TheGunner said...

Hahaha... question is, can you do it again without the fella holding your hands? =P

ahhup said...

you are talking about 100 psi, you have any idea how "heavy" is 100 psi???

eiling lim said...

The gunner: Erm... given a chance again, I would love to try and do it on my own.

Ahhup: I have no idea but I was told and it says here too that the champagne bubbly is carbonated at 100psi http://chicagoist.com/2009/01/02/how_to_saber_a_bottle_of_champagne_1.php

TheGunner said...

Well.... 100psi is more than 3 times the pressure used to inflate a car's tyre, so I'd say that's pretty high.

ahhup said...

psi mean pound/square inch, 1kg is to 2.2 pound, that is ard 45kg pressing on a square inch area. as thegunner mention, 30 psi is used to inflate your car tyre, a constant feeding of 100 psi air pressure is enough to supply any machine to actuate all it's pneumatic part.

I love all the spirit under the sun, but Champagne is first in my list, one thing I just cannot take it is the pressure inside it, a phobia for me due to my job nature.

by the way, anyone thinking of converting their car into using natural gas? great, the gas pressure petronas feed into the tank behind your car is just 3000 psi only...

A Arthur said...

Wow, eiling, that is awesome! You really are in interesting companies. I love your blog on food.

Keep in up......

love
A Arthur

Anonymous said...

so 100 psi is almost 700 kPa. How much pressure can the bottles tolerate? If the bottles cannot tolerate this pressure, you will hear bursting of bottle here and there.

eiling lim said...

The Gunner: Oh well.. I really have no idea!

Ahhup: So what you're trying to say is that a bottle of champagne could not be bottled with a pressure of 100psi? maybe that's why the bottle is thick and there is a metal basket that keeps the cork in place?

A Arthur: Thanks Uncle Lau!

Anon: Same answer as above (ahhup)

Ahhup said...

Don't get me wrong on the pressure in a bottle of good quality champagne, they are definately around there. But it is DEFINATELY NOT bottled at that pressure. The pressure is built up inside the bottle. The first furmentation is almost the same as normal wine, after blending, the champagne maker will bottle it with some yeast, sugar and old wine. The yeast will continue it's job there to create alcohol and CO2, hence the pressure built up from there. It is the second fermentation in the bottle makes champagne different from other wine. And just before the champagne can reach you, it will undergo another process to clear the dead yeast.
The champagne bottle design nowadays is definately sufficient enough to hold the pressure. And before that, people have to wear protection like steel mask before entering champagne cellar, to avoid any sudden explotion of bottle that are common on those days.
I ask the question is because I wonder anyone here know how great is 100 psi.

eiling lim said...

Ahhup: No problem at all. I understand. Thanks for explaining. I learnt a lot from you here.

katty said...

I had a meeting days ago with my partners in costa rica investment opportunities and we drank a great champagne, the taste was really delicious and the dinner, oh my god delicous too.

3iLinG © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO