Monday, December 28, 2009

One Big Roast Pig for Birthday

Birthday Boy cutting the Roast Pig himself.


Recently we had a dinner at Imbi Palace for one of our close friends in conjunction with his birthday. For others, birthday means obligatory birthday cakes, or even eating boiled eggs in red or having a piece of chicken thigh but we do it in style! We don't cut cakes, we cut roasted pigs! My friend ordered one whole roasted pig for his birthday! heheh...

I drool at the sight of the roast pig. Give me anything roast - char siew, siu ngap, siu ngo and siu yue kap (pork, duck, goose and pigeon) and I'll wallop everything! Surprisingly for the pig that size, the meat is tender and nice! One big roasted pig for 12 of us!


And they say the best part of the pig is the neck!


And if you think roasted pig is an appetizer, you're wrong! We had at least 5 other appetizers on the lazy susan. This is what happened when you eat with one of my wine kakis. He'll stuff you to death - literally and physically....


Siu Long Bao


Imbi Palace makes very nice Cold Crabs
(Fa Hai - Flower crab)

It's refreshing to eat cold crabs once in a while. These cold crabs are considered as a Teochew delight. To make cold crabs, the crabs itself has to be really fresh or else it'll taste fishy and aweful.


Dunno-what's-the-name-cockles
Was taught to eat only the outer part (extreme right) and leave the inner part (intestines) out!


Soon Hock / Bamboo Fish / Ikan Hantu
Just got to know the name of this fish in English and Malay. Expensive but heavenly because the flesh is so silky smooth!



Soon Hock Omelette
There's almost a quarter fish left and we asked the chef to make an omelette out of it! This is my first time having a fish omelette and I must say it's very good! I thought eggs and fish don't jive but boy I was so wrong...


All the booze that we had that night.
From wines to whisky and cognac for 12 of us...


And my pipe smoking moment.
One of the most relaxing smoke of all times...
A good burwood handmade pipe paired with good tobacco = a good smoke.


14 comments:

Sean said...

whoa, that's a big pig indeed! what an interesting way to celebrate a birthday :D
i've never had fish omelette before either. must remember to try that the next time i'm here!

zewt said...

seriously... a roast pig for birthday... seeeeriously!!???!

UnkaLeong said...

Now that's what i'm talking about! That's a whole load of food for a dozen peeps ;) Happy New Year in advance!

suituapui said...

Ooooo....I want to be his friend too!!! Who wouldn't? Hahahaha!!!!

eiling lim said...

Sean: Yup we always do birthdays in style since we are all gluttons to boot! Aiyoh the omelette is so nice that I'm still craving for some now!

Zewt: Serious la. My friend really ordered the pig for the birthday!

Unkaleong: Yeah overeating... Happy New Year to you and your family too!

STP: I know you'll like it! You're a true glutton!

Huai Bin said...

OMG! I would have loved to eat that HUGE pig. I haven't had dinner yet.

The other dishes looks nice too, I'm craving for Chinese food now.

Bananazക said...

Before cutting the roast pig any blowing of candles on the pig's head or body?. Wow my first encounter! Also the name of the fish in Malay is spooky but taste heavenly (what a contrast) and it's costly. Whoa Apache peace pipe haha. Thanks so much. Happy New Year.

Design...Point said...

interesting!

Anonymous said...

This big celebration is like 做壽, for one of age 70 or 80 years old. ha ha. I hope you read Mandarin.

Corgi 1960 said...

Come to HK, I will show you what 'roast' is all about. Best part of the roast pork is not the neck, but the belly (siu lam yuk).
Speaking of which....I wonder when we will introduce the halal roast pork! That will cause a stir, guarantee.....hehehehe
Happy New Year, my friend

taufulou said...

fuyogh~ the amount of alcohol you guys got..
sure all very geng chow drinker~

AugustDiners said...

wow, thats one huge ass siew yok! *widen eyes* i was told that medium size roast pig is the best. (:

foongpc said...

Wow! What a huge roast pig! : )

eiling lim said...

Huai Bin: i have no doubt the you can swallow a quarter of da pig! Eat chap fan la.. chinese food what.

Bananaz: No blowing candles on the pig. haha... The name is suitable for the fish cos the fish looks very gloomy one... I like the pipe too! Happy New year to you!

Design Point: :)

Corgi1960: No money to go HK yet. When I do, I'll call you. I know the pork belly part but the neck part is equally nice.

Taufulou: We are all hardcore drinkers from 25-year-old to even 65 year old! Lol...

Augustdiners: You're right but like I said, I was quite surprised that this huge pig was quite good and tender! heheh...

Foongpc: I am still having it for my dinner yesterday! Lol....

3iLinG © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO