Monday, October 05, 2009

Kari Ayam Sempalit

For a second, I was wondering whether this post has lost its way and ended up in a blog that is screaming of expensive food and wine. I was also doubting whether I am indeed the right person to give a review of this Indian cuisine since I'm no expert in the curry department. And since my friends always complain that I don't review food that they can afford and so I give you this today! By far I think this is the tastiest curry!

Anyone who knows me, knew that I don't take spicy food. On a rating of spiciness from 1 to 5, I can only score a 2! One day, I was introduced to this wonderful curry chicken from Raub dubbed as the Kari Ayam Sempalit. Yes, there's a famous shop called Ratha's/Kari Ayam Sempalit from Raub and the original one is the Darmoharan Nair in Sempalit. Sempalit is one of the largest village in Raub, Pahang and they make very good curry there!

That night, we had a plate of the famous "kari ayam sempalit" (sempalit curry chicken) and I tell you, the curry just blew me away! It's not very spicy, not too thick and although there is none potatoes to be found, I absolutely love it! I can eat my rice with just the curry sauce, minus the chicken! hehe.... I think I can also lick the plate clean that night.


Must try - Kari Ayam Sempalit


Chicken Tikka


Fried Chicken


Poppadam, Chilli Tomato Salad, My wholesome meal & Cabbage


All the dishes were good. Although I find the chicken tikka a little spicy, it didn't stop me from eating. The fried chicken is well marinated and it's not those crispy type like KFC hot & spicy but it's tasty. I heard that they make very good mutton curry too.

Their stall is in the Kedai Kopi Do Re Mi in Ara Damansara. It's like a small food square where they are multiple stalls selling various hawker food. This stall is located at the open air section and it's quite cooling at night. They are open for lunch and dinner except weekends which is just for dinner. According to the owner's son, Dinesh, they also do catering where per chicken is priced at RM25. Come early or be disappointed! It's really my favourite curry place!




Kedai Kopi Do Re Mi (wikimapia)
Coordinates: 3°7'11"N 101°34'45"E
JALAN PJU 1A/20B,
DATARAN ARA DAMANSARA,
47301 PETALING JAYA
SELANGOR

Dinesh's HP: 017-3430766

24 comments:

Huai Bin said...

Oh this curry looks good! I'm in the mood for curry today too. Sempalit curry, never had that before. I'll try and see if I can find this tonight...need some food before I pack!

*logs on to Google Maps*

octoper said...

Curry looks too thin. Not a big fan of this type.

eiling lim said...

Huai Bin: Hope you found the place!

Octoper: Ohs well.. not everyone will like it.

lanatir said...

the best way to eat the food from that stall (i eat there all the time) is to drench the curry all over the rice and have it with their wonderful sambal.

sometimes, if u're lucky they have sardine sambal which is delicious!

suituapui said...

Ooo...looks good! Must treat me there next time I go to KL... Cheap some more! Or maybe Huai Bin can take me there...and you can take me to some expensive place! Hahahahahaha!!!!

Admirer said...

I love curries: Chicken Tikka, Mutton and Rendang. I am a curryholic and I can eat them everyday.

foongpc said...

I thought I was reading the wrong blog! What is Kari Ayam Sempelit doing in a blog filled with expensive wines and chocolates!

Anyway, thanks for the introduction to this yummy food! : )

eiling lim said...

Lanatir: Yeah. For me, just the curry sauce and rice will do!

STP: no problem... anytime!

Admirer: Ooh. You must be a one hot person! haha

Foongpc: I do eat hawker also ok! haha... go try go try...

Myhorng said...

OMG all those so tempting.

steven chong said...

I had it last night. The curry was superb and the mutton was so good. I tried the fried chi you said it was very good too.

Dato Hamdan said...

YES.... I am thier regular customer & a die hard fan for the Kari Ayam Sempalit. I have been catering from them for many many years since from Raub. I have never find a replacement for that Kari Ayam Sempalit until today.

Benny Chia said...

I agree to all your feedbacks because i had the Kari Ayam Sempalit last week.It is really tasty and delicious.The kari Ayam Sempalit has the power to pull me for the second round and also introduce many friends. All of them liked it.

Dato Sunny Khoo said...

After reading this blog,I went to the stall and i was suprised that a stall can serve such a good food. I whole family enjoyed it.They have very good future if they expand their business

eiling lim said...

Steven Chong: Glad that you liked it! I had it yesterday too!

Dato Hamdan: ooh.. I love it too. Just brought my parents there yesterday.

Benny Chia: Thank you and I'm glad your friends like it too.

Dato Sunny: I was surprised too. i think it's best to remain the stall as a hidden gem!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to eiling.me & my friends went down from Seremban to ARA Damansara to taste the curry. We enjoyed the Kari Ayam Sempalit & the Sempalit fried chicken.We all packed 2 packets each.Conclusion the curry was great.

eiling lim said...

Anon: No prob at all. Glad you all liked it. My taste not so bad huh...

Raymong Choo said...

Thanks to eiling for this write up because me & my friends at SS2 have been eating only around this circle but yesterday we had the best Kari Ayam Sempalit & superb mutton which was diffrent compare to other joins. We saw your write up that you haven't try it. We suggest you should have it once..

Dato Zaidi said...

I am from Kuala Lipis and I have been eating this Kari Ayam Sempalit for more then 25 years. The taste is still the original taste. They had 2 outlet in Raub where i use to purchase or eat every time i am back to Lipis. Now they are in K.L. It's a good news for us because my family loves it till today

eiling lim said...

Raymong Choo: You're welcome and glad you like this type of curry too!

Dato Zaidi: Glad to hear that and I'm sure many people would find this stall a hidden gem!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

eiling lim said...

Anon: Hey, Thanks! yeah... improvement is ongoing!

Anonymous said...

hi eiling
thnx for the info, i've been looking for this kedai for a long time...when i was growing up, my family used to balik kampung right there in Kg Melayu Sempalit..and guess what?..my dad used to take us to makan at their restaurant back then...sangat sedap....now i know where to find it in KL;) Thank you;)

eiling lim said...

Anon: No problem. Glad that you like the kari Ayam Sempalit as well. My fav curry!

Anonymous said...

Update:
They have upgrade to a shop in Lucky Garden Bangsar. the new contact wet from 15 july 2014 is:

KariGuys
24 Lorong Ara Kiri 2
Lucky Gardens
Bangsar
59100 Kuala Lumpur
contact: 0322019388

Same great food but much nice environment. I have been eating their food for 40 years from Sempalit village days

3iLinG © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO