Monday, October 19, 2009

Birthday Dinner @ Lafite

Philipponnat Grand Blanc Champagne


Before I start, it wasn't my birthday! How I wished it was! Anyways, it's a birthday celebration for two of my very dear friends whom introduced me to the wonderful world of alcohol, and probably someone to be blamed for my "expensiveness" now. It was very wonderful of Mr. A to get us a room at Lafite @ Shangri La KL, brought some beautiful Gaja vino and eventually paid for the bill as well!


The Wines



I know little about Italian wines. It might range from Chianti, Barolo, Barbaresco to Amarone and I guess you can only know it all when you have duly tried it yourself. However, for a quick reference, you can read it here. So far, I have shown my liking for Pio Cesare's Barolo Ornato 2004 and so when my friends introduced me to a new Italian wine label, I was thrilled.

Gaja (pronounced as "gai - ya") is one of the most sought after and prestigious wine labels across Italy and around the world for wine lovers. One reason for this celebrity status is that as opposed to the great Chateaux of Bordeaux which produce tens of thousands of cases of their top wines each year, Gaja produces its DOCG and single vineyard wines in quantities that range from a few thousand to a mere one thousand cases.

That night, we had a chance to try 3 different bottles from Barbaresco 1988, Conteisa 1997 and then Barbaresco 1997. On the palate the Barbaresco 1988 is very light and if I want to compare, the 1997 fared better. The 1997 is elegant, smoky and full of fruits. But of course the best is still the Conteisa 1997, when decantered fully, it opened up very well. They were hints of chocolate, intermingled with black fruits, oak and leather. Drinking very well now.

Went well with the Vegas Robaina Robusto cigar too..


The Food

The last time I was there was a few moons ago while attending the Chateau Cos d'Estournel and Chateau Palmer wine dinner by AsiaEuro. The kitchen was still headed by chef de cuisine, Chef Damon Campbell. He was there since May last year and when I saw him that night, I told him that I never trust a skinny chef! He was quite slim and still as good looking as ever.... (so far I have exempted the skinny-chef-can't-cook-good-food equation to Lafite, Gu Yue Tien & Kuriya)


Very good looking right?!!


Anyways, let's move on to the "real food" although the chef might be something you might want to relish on. We took the 6 Plate Explorer menu after listening to the recommendation of the chef because we wanted something to match the wines that we brought. The 6 Plate Explorer is a 6-dish menu priced @ RM295, with wine pairing @ RM495 and with champagne it would be @ RM615. If you think this is not filling enough, they have 9 Plate Explorer @ RM410, RM660 & RM810 respectively.


Even the bread/bun served was very good!


Foie Gras Volume 3

Previously, he had the Foie Gras served with cherry meringue and this is the latest one where the foie gras was roasted until the outer layer is crispy and served with a dash of apricot puree, pistaschio nibs and hibiscus meringue. The taste - heavenly! The foie gras was done nicely and it just melt in my mouth! For that, I'll put aside the cruelty factor and savour the moment.


Mulloway Fish Fillet

It's my first time hearing about this Mulloway fish. Apparently, Mulloway is a natural inhabitant of South Australia. It is a firm, white-fleshed fish that can be cooked, smoked or eaten raw sashimi-style.Mulloway came close to disappearing some 20 years ago following its over-use for fish and chip consumption. It is now in-demand from top chefs and fine dining restaurants across the world. The fish fillet was very nicely pan seared and served with mashed potatoes and mushrooms.


Duck "Almost ala Orange"

Ooh, this is a very yummy duck breast served with orange puree, foie gras bits and almond potato. The mashed potatoes has got these almond nibs inside and it's very interesting. The orange puree with duck sauce complements the meat very well!


Australian Wagyu

The Australian Wagyu beef tenderloin and beef cheeks is to die for as well. The cheeks are the toughest part and it was done to perfection because it was very tender and almost melt in the mouth texture. Although the meat looks oozing with redness, it was actually a medium. Some might consider this a medium-rare but it's really good despite I got quite scared with the redness!


The 18SX D cup tits birthday cake!

I had to arrange a birthday cake that would make it the most memorable cake of all times and so my friends and I got together and decided to get them a pair of big tits for their birthday! So the first baker to come into my mind was BigBoysOven where Sunny Yaw's sweet creation has been so famous all over the net! It was nice to meet Sunny in person too when I went to his place to collect the ultra-big birthday cake. And for the big nite, both of my friends had to suck the nipples off the cake as opposed to candle blowing ritual.


My new hairstyle...

It was indeed an enjoyable dinner @ Lafite. Oh, and if you're cold, like me, they do lend out nice shawls like the one I was wearing for your comfort and convenience! Hmm... a very good point for other fine dining restaurant to follow.


*wait... there were only 4 dishes! What happened to the other 2? Shit! Guys, we were
short-changed by Lafite! Probably we were too drunk to remember?!!

After that, I adjourned to TwentyOne and Werners at Changkat Bukit Bintang for some partying and a night cap of 2 glasses of Lychee Martini and some Grey Goose Vodka. Those places are really happening on a friday night yo! I officially slept at 4.30am till the 1pm the next day. Cheers!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

The idea doneness for beef and lamb is medium rare. Find Lafite mashed potato needs improvement.

foongpc said...

OMG! So bloody expensive! Fine dining is not my idea of a good dinner. Haha!

That 18SX cake is hilarious! : )

suituapui said...

LOL!!! Really love the cake! So creative. And you're looking good... Love the one on the right - very sexy and suggestive! Hahahahaha!!!

FooDcrazEE said...

expensive alright. . . .what a life style. Even ur cigar choice is excellent.

KY said...

yes foodcrazee, she's an expensive girl :P

GIVE ME FOIE GRAS!

Admirer said...

Did you have a good Crumpets and gobble up the Ham-Shank at the weekend?!! Just kidding. Haha!! ;-))

eiling lim said...

Anon: Ok. for me, I have no expectations for mashed potatoes. Just give them to me, and I'll wallop it.

Foongpc: Yeah me too! A big fraction of my salary eh.

STP: Thanks. hehe.. next time your birthday, you want a double D?

Foodcrazee: Thanks.

KY: I also want!

Admirer: No I didn't. No desirable partner.

Michelle Chin said...

As usual, LaFite is an awesome place.

Have you been to frangipani though?

eiling lim said...

Michelle: Nope. I have not been to Frangipani.

Anonymous said...

When selecting a [URL=http://www.northfacetriclimate.org/#1037]north face outlet locations[/URL] , firstly, we ought to choose diverse style in accordance with our size.To unwanted weight people, they are able to choose the [URL=http://www.northfacetriclimate.org/#1819]links[/URL] that has a collar shaped like "V" along with a single-breasted design, which makes the person's shoulder looks shorter, guitar neck looks longer.

Anonymous said...

1jNhh ghd hair straightener
lHqp michael kors purses
vOtt ghd nz
7fCip ugg boots sale uk
2fOot cheap ghd straighteners

Anonymous said...

vMrx ghd hair straighteners
iJkm cheap ugg boots uk
uTes michael kors outlet
9uXwy GHD Hair Straightener
0vPef burberry sale
1iVvt bottes ugg pas cher
0pKtu ghd nz sale
7dDxm louis vuitton purses
3bItj michael kors purses
9hQir cheapest ghd straighteners
9kDgx ugg sale
3uUcm cheap nfl jerseys
3wJwl michael kors sale
3qLfu Lisseur GHD
7oTbi ugg boots

Anonymous said...

aZqn coach outlet online
qLom ugg store
gXey michael kors purse
2aBaz ugg boots uk
5pUmt chi hair straightener
5kDzh michael kors purses
7gHaj nfl jerseys
4eJwb coach outlet online
6sRpx north face outlet
3hNxz ugg online
1aOuj ghd midnight collection
6eQrn michael kors purse
9xQsb nfl jerseys
1wLnu ghd baratas
9pKmw ugg boots usa

Anonymous said...

IfmTez [url=http://onnrainnmcm.com/#80799]MCM キーケース[/url] GfwEkq http://onnrainnmcm.com/ JrpQmh [url=http://mcmsenmon.com/#84086]MCM[/url] OkcTca http://mcmsenmon.com/ WswHik [url=http://ninnkimcm.com/#37739]MCM 財布[/url] KomEbv http://ninnkimcm.com/ VfbWtv [url=http://kaidokumcm.com/#03953]MCM 長財布[/url] FycPfs http://kaidokumcm.com/ BrmHdo [url=http://manzokumcm.com/#48135]MCM 通販[/url] HplQrl http://manzokumcm.com/ TuzPrp http://chloenihon.com/ PewXdf [url=http://chloenihon.com/]クロエ アクセサリー[/url] IvoI http://toumikousin.com/ AsxAZ [url=http://toumikousin.com/]TUMI 26114[/url] BsqTpH http://toumikakaku.com/ YdzEeOR [url=http://toumikakaku.com/]TUMI リュック[/url] GwjDvb [url=http://mcmhannbai.com/]MCM 店舗[/url] AfeJjd [url=http://mcmhannbai.com/]MCM[/url]

Anonymous said...

You're so interesting! I don't believe I've read through anything like this before. So good to discover someone with a few original thoughts on this subject. Really.. thanks for starting this up. This site is something that is needed on the internet, someone with a bit of originality!

Look at my website; bmi chart for men
My page > Bmi Charts

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.4dmv.com/toms.php]toms sale[/url] As long as you tell [url=http://www.4dmv.com/rayban.php]ray ban sunglasses sale[/url] how to make the Li Yun will not get Luoyang![url=http://www.4dmv.com/montblanc.php]mont blanc[/url], Even let him ruin![url=http://www.4dmv.com/lv.php]louis vuitton outlet store[/url], You tell [url=http://www.4dmv.com/oakley.php]discount oakley sunglasses[/url] , in the end you have no way! While talking, but it is the sword of the waist to pull out the sheath! At this time, has been silent old man suddenly said: My lord, Li Yun was sealed in order hussars Liuhou! The hussars, is because of his heroic battle to squad! This Liuhou bit, but it is because he seek advocated good are looks beautiful, Zhuangruo Good Women! I do not know is not?

Anonymous said...

Thanks designed for sharing such a pleasant thought, article is good, thats why
i have read it entirely

Also visit my homepage ... yongyuandepengyou.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found your website by means of Google while looking for a similar
topic, your web site got here up, it seems good.
I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
Hi there, just became alert to your blog thru Google, and found that it is really informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you happen to continue this in future. Numerous other folks shall be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

My homepage Abercrombie

Anonymous said...

If some one needs expert view regarding blogging after that i advise
him/her to pay a quick visit this website, Keep up the fastidious
work.

Feel free to surf to my web site ... the tao of badass

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are
a team of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.
You have done a extraordinary job!

my website - supra skytop

Anonymous said...

Hey there would you mind letting me know which web host you're utilizing? I've loaded your
blog in 3 completely different internet browsers and I
must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a fair price?

Many thanks, I appreciate it!

my homepage: Abercrombie France

Anonymous said...

Ridiculous story there. What occurred after? Take care!

Also visit my homepage; Sac Guess Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

Howdy very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .

. I'll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also? I am happy to find numerous helpful info right here within the put up, we'd like work
out more strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.
. . . . .

Also visit my blog post: Chaussure De Foot Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

My brother suggested I might like this web
site. He was entirely right. This post truly made my day.
You cann't imagine just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

Also visit my site :: www.earlylearningpreschool.com

Anonymous said...

Magnificent website. Plenty of useful information here.

I'm sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks for your sweat!

My page ... Louis Vuitton Outlet

Anonymous said...

Normally I do not learn post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to try and do
so! Your writing style has been amazed me.
Thank you, quite great post.

My web page :: Evgeni Malkin Black Jersey

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting, You are an excessively skilled blogger.

I have joined your rss feed and sit up for seeking more of your excellent
post. Additionally, I have shared your website in my social networks

Feel free to surf to my webpage :: Michael Kors Bags

3iLinG © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO