Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Ipoh Shredded Chicken Hor Fun

What I absolutely love about Ipoh besides it being my hometown is actually the food! People always say Penang has good food. I say, Ipoh should be mentioned at the same breath. Huai Bin is in luck because it was very nice of me to take this Sibu boy back to my beloved hometown during the 1st and 2 nd day of chinese new year. To Huai Bin, the whole of Peninsular Malaysia is regarded as KL and as an Iporian, I need to knock some geography knowledge into his alcohol infused brain cells. There's more to Peninsular than just KL!!!

On the 2nd day of CNY, I took him to my favourite-must-eat-Ipoh-shredded-chicken-hor-fun. Although the much acclaimed famous noodle is not this particular stall that I'm about to highlight, I did find that this stall is ze best! Not only it has the smooth shredded chicken, the broth was also boiled with prawns. This stall is located at the Lok Wee Kui coffeeshop located at the corner of Jalan Mustapha Al-Bakri which is just directly opposite Kamdar.



I am so pimping this particular stall not because it is tasty, and delicious and many more deliciousness... it was also my "si fu's" stall. Nope, I did not take up any kung fu, he was my music teacher when I started taking up Gu-Zheng at the age of 5. I only stopped taking lessons from him at the age of 17 when I moved down to KL for tertiary education. Every year without fail, I would make a trip back and stop by my si fu's stall to give him a bottle of liquor and some goodies as a gesture of appreciation for coaching me all these years! I'm only one of the 2 students he had and I'm happy to say these 2 students had done him proud. Wouldn't anyone just take a double look at him if I tell you that this man plays the instrument very well?!!! Surprise, surprise....


The must eat bowl of heavenly Ipoh Shredded Chicken Hor Fun.


The super fat & juicy beansprouts.


They say, only Ipoh has fat beansprouts. It's true. I just hate waif thin beansprouts. Even Huai Bin who hates beansprouts couldn't resist savouring on these. It's not that we Ipoh people are naturally fat and thus the fat beansprouts. It's actually the limestone water that affects the juiciness of the beansprouts and the miracle water has been said to produce beautiful ladies like meself... *choke choke* I say, the water is better than SKII Miracle water. My complexion used to be better when I was in Ipoh and when I got to KL, my skin deteriorated!!! It's true...

But anyways, the noodle was so good that I had it for 2 consecutive days. Besides that, there's a very special drink that you should give it a try here. It's a can of 7up mixed with rose syrup and topped with a scoop of Vanilla Ice cream. Warning: Definitely not for diabetic patients and sugar fearing patrons. Although the ice cream is none of the creme de la creme, it's a true kopitiam style dessert! I used to pester my parents to allow me to order that when I was young.


This coffeeshop is really a crowded eatery. If you cannot manage to get a table downstairs, you can always opt for upstairs which is less crowded. The staircase is a bit steep though so be careful when you inch your way upstairs. I liked the upstairs because it has a very nostalgic atmosphere complete with old tiles, furnitures and even the windows.


Camwhoring while waiting for food!


That was not the end of the breakfast. What to do when you've got only one stomach and so many places to eat in a day. I shall continue the other temptations in the next post. You can also read my sister's review here.

28 comments:

Huai Bin said...

Yes, the bean sprouts were AWESOME! =D

Cheers Eiling!

Anyway, the entire Peninsula Malaysia IS KL what. ;)

foongpc said...

"...I need to knock some geography knowledge into his alcohol infused brain cells.."

Haha! That's a damn funny sentence! Can't stop laughing! : )

Hey, I think I've been to this shop if not mistaken! I have an Ipoh friend who brought me there last time! You are absolutely right - their chicken hor fun is to die for!

Haha! Limestone water better than SKII. LOL! Maybe you should just remain in Ipoh lah : )

Btw, you and Huai Bin look very matching - haha! ; )

Anonymous said...

Lok Wee Kui .....what a name that bring me back to those day when you still find a CINEMA in Ipoh call Ruby,then you have Cathy and Rex!!!

I remmember this coffee shop and they have hor fun dish call "Hor He" Wonderful taste, I wonder the satay stall still there???

LY.Tai

breadpitt said...

im proud my hometown fame for bean sprout...;-)lol.. gosh ...i lovee it...i can just ignore other's if there is bean sprout..

-eiling- said...

HB: No it's not! Huai Bin........

Foongpc: That's sarcasm which I'm always good at. Really? You've been there? It's awesome! I wish I could remain in Ipoh and maybe I'll be much prettier! Me & HB?!!lol..

LY Tai: Yup I remembered all those cinemas. I've been to Cathay before when I was very young. I still love Hor Hee but it's a bit difficult to find one today. Not sure bout the satay stall though.

Breadpitt: Me too. The beansprouts are awesome - to die for.

goolooloo said...

Btw, you and Huai Bin look very matching - haha! ; )

quoted from foongpc

I feel so too! hehehe.. wink wink:)

Ipoh produce lots of pretty girls, where got fat people.

mun said...

even without asking, i guess ur using sony alpha erm 300?

Jeremy C said...

the food looks divine :)

and, like HB, i used to think of peninsular as only KL...and maybe penang too.

thanks to your posting, will make it a point to one day visit ipoh as well!

-eiling- said...

Goolooloo: Hehe.. that's because we wore the same colour!

Mun : Yes it's the sony alpha 300.

Jeremy C: When you have found your sense of direction in KL, you can start venturing into Ipoh. Should I also explain why there are other places other than KL in Peninsular Malaysia?!!

KY said...

oOo already open on 2nd day of CNY? I very hungry nowwww

-eiling- said...

KY: Hungry? Why always hungry one you...

KY said...

because i haven't had lunch at that time, but now i'm hungry again cos haven't had tea time!

Myhorng said...

have to admit Ipoh has the best bean sprouts ever....

zewt said...

did u try the satay babi there too?

damn, i am getting hungry.

Zach said...

Hey...i found this one not the best....the best is in Restaurant Central , just beside Ming Kok famous dim sum. The soup texture is so marvellous ! ...I heard they are using a lot of good stuff to boil the soup like pork ribs, prawn head , ...etc Dont forget to try the taugeh too....the sauce is nice. They also selling chickren rice as well.....Give it a try, u never regret it.....:)

-eiling- said...

KY: Haih....

Horng: Yes of course! Ipoh also has the best girls!

Zewt: No I didn't!

Zach: Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Τhіs is kind of оff tοpic but I
need somе help from an estаblisheԁ blog.
Is it very diffiсult to set up your own blog?
I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinkіng abοut
maκing my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you

Also visit my web site: ways to save at disney

Anonymous said...

Thanks foг the marvelous ρosting! I really enjoyed readіng it, уou
could bе a great аuthor.I will be sure tο bookmark your blοg and will come bаck in the foгeseeаble future.
I want to enсourage you сontinue your great ρosts, have a nice weekend!


My web blog massage clinics

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beach wіth my chіldгen.
I founԁ a ѕea shеll and gave іt to my 4 уear οld dаughteг and
ѕaiԁ "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." Ѕhе
placеd the shell tо heг ear and ѕcreamed.
Тhere was а hermit cгab inside and it pіnchеd her eаг.
She neveг wantѕ to go bаck!
LоL I knοw thіs is entirely off topic but
I had to tell someοne!

Alsо νіsіt my hοmepаge
- quick natural yeast infection treatment

Anonymous said...

Incгeԁible! This blog loоks exactly like my old
one! It's on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!

my site ... 24 hr Plumber Solihull

Anonymous said...

Woаh! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this blog. It's ѕimple, yet effective.
A lot of timeѕ it's difficult to get that "perfect balance" between usability and visual appearance. I must say you have done a very good job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Safari. Outstanding Blog!

Check out my blog post colonic birmingham

Anonymous said...

Heу theге! I just wаnted to ask
іf you eνer havе any problems with hаcκers?

My last blog (wordpresѕ) was hаcked and I ended up loѕing months оf hard work
due to no back uρ. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackeгs?



my pаge :: breast enlargement

Anonymous said...

Thаnks for ones maгvelous pоѕtіng!
I quite enjoyeԁ гeading it, you might be
a great author.I will make certain to bookmark your
blog and definitеly will come back down the rοad.
І wаnt tо encοuragе οne to continue your grеat work, have а nicе ωеekеnd!


Hеre іs mу blοg :: how to increase height naturally

Anonymous said...

Neаt blog! Is your themе cuѕtom
made or ԁiԁ you ԁownloаd it fгom somewhere?
A desіgn lіke yours with a feω ѕіmple tweekѕ would rеallу makе my blog stand out.
Рleasе lеt me knοw whеre you got your
design. Thanks

Here is mу page burn Belly Fat fast

Anonymous said...

Do you have a ѕрam problem on this sitе; I also аm a blogger, and I was сurious about уour
ѕituation; we hаvе developed somе
nice prоceduгeѕ and we arе looking tо swap stratеgieѕ wіth οther folks, why not ѕhoot me an e-mail if interesteԁ.


My website :: lose belly fat quick

Anonymous said...

Hellο! This іs kind of off topic but I nеed some аdviсе from an
estаblished blog. ӏs it vеry diffiсult to ѕеt up your own blog?
I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thіnking аbout setting up my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any points or suggestions? With thanks

my homepage - Increase Boob Size

Anonymous said...

Aρpreciating the сommitment you put into your website
anԁ in depth informatiοn you ρгeѕent.

It's awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the
same outdateԁ rehashed material. Wonderful гeaԁ!
I've bookmarked your site and I'm including youг RSS feeds
to my Google acсοunt.

Here is my blog: How to make your dick bigger without pills

Anonymous said...

Hi therе! Would you mіnԁ іf I
shaгe уouг blog ωith mу mysрасe group?
Thеre's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

Take a look at my page ... Hypothyroidism Treatment

3iLinG © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO