Thursday, January 15, 2009

Twilight Robbery

I went out for dinner with two friends at Overseas Restaurant in Jalan Imbi last weekend. My friend had a craving for char siew (roasted honey pork) and it seemed that he loves the char siew at Overseas so much so that he frequents this outlet eveytime he's in town. It was my first time to this outlet in Jalan Imbi. Usually, I'll just have Overseas at Jaya One. I was quite shocked that the KL outlet is crowded despite being "not so new" or "no ambiance". No doubt the food is good but the atmosphere wasn't that appealing to me.



We went to the restaurant in his BMW M3 and it was a ride of my life. More like the scariest ride of my life because it was worse than riding a roller coaster. I felt so scared sitting in the car when he clocked at more than 160 km/h at some stretch of roads in the city. I told him that we were not in a hurry and I prefer to get out in 1 piece. However, I was ignored and he continued with his occasional speeding during the journey. After dinner, we adjourned to the fruit stall outside Soo Kee Restaurant in Jalan Imbi for a fix of durian. I have not tried having durian as a dessert after dinner and now I know how it felt like. Hmm... Heavenly.


Recognise this stall properly and I shall tell you why.




We ordered 1 Musang King Durian (mao sang wong). Apparently it was one of the best durian breeds around and some even said it was better than D24. I had tried it before so it's not a big deal to me. I had to agree that it was good. Ample flesh and aromatic. Ok, here comes the bill after everything was done. It cost my friend RM57 for one durian! Can you imagine that?!! With RM57, I can probably have two dishes at Overseas!!! Why would someone pay that much for a durian? Hello, it's just a D-U-R-I-A-N!!! Should I repeat that again? Maybe not.

I think it's a twilight robbery (since it happened at twilight and not in daylight). Maybe we should have asked for the price before we eat. But then again, these guys are filthy rich so it doesn't matter I guess. For me, I rather spend RM57 for a bottle of duty free Absolut Vodka anytime.



After that, we had a smoke and a drink at KL Hilton before calling it a night. I think I had 3 shots of Glenmorangie on the rocks and then a cup of Earl Grey. I was lucky to have a chance to try the newest Limited Edition of Partagas Serie D #5. It's a good smoke no doubt but perhaps it needs a little bit of aging in the humidor. After that, I had a MonteCristo Edmundo, one of my favourite cigars. I had 2 for the day and for the rest of the month, I can only have another 2 more since the quota is 4 cigars a month. Haih... I know my resolution sucks. I hope it's workable for long term or else I'll have to replace them with more achievable ones soon.

Too much indulgence for the day. Wait till you hear about tomorrow.







19 comments:

Anonymous said...

SUITUAPUI:
Ur BMW friend an ego-freak! Needs to go and see a shrink! Tot dat was the durian stall at Jln Alur - got durians 365 days a year. RM50 plus here can have very nice dinner for 4-5 people. Btw, tot dey said eat durian can't drink liquor?

annant said...

57bucks for one freaking durian?
last time i saw one selling at 20+ i thought that's da most ridiculous price =.=

stp, after durian cannot drink beer only izzit?

Edi神 said...

Durian wow!

57 is so cheap! For that type!

u got a bargain for it

Myhorng said...

durian also expensive 1. really best lar u.

Ian CHEONG said...

When the Durian Uncle saw the M3, he said, ah, great, got "Water fish here" dating a hot chick, so must wield the PARANG!

Thus, the Uncle being himself was smart enough to pocket some ANG POW money for his grandchildren now!

Who says that all M3 boys are bad boys? It's good that he patronises local fruits (BELI BARANG BUATAN MALAYSIAN) and contribute more to our frail economy!

Anyway, that M3 is passé now! Get a Gallardo mah! (or at least the new Nissan GT-R!)

foongpc said...

Twilight robbery? Haha! That's a new term to me!

Is your friend nuts? Driving at 160km/h in KL?

ahhup said...

try ur cigar with Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin or any other wood finish... if you want to go further, try with any islay malt, super smokey, good with cigars, bowmore, laphroigh, ardbeg, just to name a few. Glenmorangie The Original may be too bland, at least to me...

-eiling- said...

STP: Haha.. the liquor and durian myth only applies to people with a sulfate allergy.

Annant: The price is really ridiculous!

Edi: Cheap?!! Are you sure?

Horng: Me best? Cos don't need to pay? Lol....

Ian: Yeah I've just realised we are the "water-fish" in the M3.

Foongpc: My friend is really crazy!

Ahhup: I had the Glenmorangie 10 years. Shall try those you recommended if I have a chance next time.

sean said...

I guess the durian uncle must be driving bmw as well 1... bmw 5series at least.. heh

-eiling- said...

Sean: Haha... maybe maybe...

ahhup said...

yup, GM 10 YO is known as The Original now, but this is chill-filtered, not as flavourful, IMO almost the same taste profile as Chivas 12, only much expensive. Must try the wood finish series by them, simply outstanding! I would also suggest you try your cigars and chocolate not only with single malts, but with RUMs too! for cigars, Havana Club 7, more tobacco flavours, Bacardi 8 with chocolate bcos it's sweeter... Happy experimenting! btw, I'm rums, malts and champange collector and chocolate and coffee freaks! nice to know u like some of them too..

-eiling- said...

Ahhup: Hey I really like your expertise in liquor. my first purchase of single malt was the Glenfiddich 18 years too and I still have not opened it! I've tried Dalmore, Old Malt cask, Macallan, Highland Park and also Glenrothes. I will try your recommendations.

KY said...

57 actually isn't that bad looo. :/

-eiling- said...

KY: really? you had worse?

Anonymous said...

Τhanκs fог shагing youг thoughts about viagгa.
Rеgаrdѕ

my ωeblog: used bucket truck
Feel free to visit my weblog bucket truck for sale

Anonymous said...

Thank уou a bunch for shаring this ωіth all peοple yоu actuаlly rеcognisе what уou're talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally consult with my web site =). We could have a hyperlink change contract among us

Also visit my homepage :: dallas auto insurance
Stop by my webpage :: auto insurance dallas tx

Anonymous said...

Your style is very unіque in comparison to otheг pеople I have reаԁ stuff frοm.
Thanks foг posting when you have the oppoгtunity, Guess
I ωill ϳust boοkmark this page.

Here is my blоg ... tens units during pregnancy

Anonymous said...

Hello, aftеr reаԁing thіs aweѕome pοst і
am also glad to shаre my familiarity heгe with colleagues.


Here iѕ my sіte; tens

Anonymous said...

Aw, thiѕ waѕ a veгy goоd post.
Taking a fеw minutes аnd actual effoгt to make а good
аrticle… but what can I sау… I put things оff
а lot and never seеm to gеt аnything
done.

mу wеbѕite ... irving texas taxi

3iLinG © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO