Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Alcohol Challenge 2 : Absolut Mango agar-agar

To some of you who doesn't know what agar-agar is, you can always google about it. In fact there are a few types of gelatinous substance in the supermarket shelves that may confuse an amateur trying to make desserts out of them. For instance, there's agar-agar, Konnyaku, jelly and gelatine. On the texture, agar-agar has a very tough texture, Konnyaku has a very chewy and springy texture where jelly (or some called it Jell-O) is soft like Flubber. Agar-agar and Konnyaku remain as my favourites till today. I find the Jell-O too soft and not to my liking because it's like eating something that's barely there!

When I first laid my hands on a bottle of Absolut Mango many moons ago, I was so delighted and proud of it as it was not launched in Malaysia yet. I had to buy it because being an alcoholic, I have the urge of trying new drinks whenever I could or whenever there is a chance. My sister too collects the Absolut bottles so how could I not buy Mango and show off?!!

I found many ways to serve Absolut Mango - mainly on the rocks, with Mango juice, ice-blended, and of course putting it into my agar-agar! If there's a will, there's a way!


The ingredients are pretty much simple: Absolut Mango, Agar-agar powder (I always like to use the Mermaid brand from Thailand), Pandan leaves (from my garden), F&N evaporated milk, caster sugar, mango cubes and Golden Kiwi (it's not Kiwi gone bad like what my sister thought when she saw the yellow colour).


I'm making a two layer agar-agar and thus the cooking of the powder has to be done two times. Firstly, I have to make the milk layer and let it set. After that while it's 3 quarter set, I need to cook the transparent layer. after the white layer has been almost set and laid with the mango cubes and golden kiwi, I poured in the transparent layer mixture added with 3 table spoons of Absolut Mango onto the fruits in the tray. The secret of making the agar-agar an ABSOLUTELY alcoholic one is by soaking the mango cubes in alcohol before arranging it onto the white layer! Brilliant eh?!!

And the result - taa daa.....


It looked so good. And tasted good too okay?!! However, one slight problem I had was there isn't much alcohol taste to it. I thought I added quite a bit but mana tau the alcohol must have evaporated. Although there isn't much alcohol, it can still make you drunk as evident from my assistant's feedback when I gave her a box to take home. She said she felt sleepy after eating them and thus she went to bed as early as 9pm. Haha... don't look down on my alcohol creations - they surely are deadly (to those who doesn't drink)!



The agar-agar looked so nice that I will only do justice by camwhoring it. This shot is taken by Yiling. So artistic oh (I was referring to my jelly)?!! I think this can make a good party dessert. Let's get them drunk without them knowing it!

I have yet to try the alcohol on sticky mango rice. Wonder how it tastes like? Perhaps Huai Bin, whom have just received a bottle of Absolut Mango can try it!

My other post - Lychee Liquor Jelly


20 comments:

foongpc said...

Wow! The agar agar really look very nice and delicious! Like you, I also like agar agar and Konnyaku, but not jelly : )

Johnny Ong said...

i think i can handle this agar-agar on my own. absolut mango can be used also ...... innovative

Anonymous said...

Guess your love of alcohol reputation precede the actual alcohol in the lychee jelly.

Bet if you tell your innocent assistant that you have added alcohol to dessert even if you didn’t, she will still get drunk from eating it.

fx

KY said...

the syringe! you need the syringe!

suituapui said...

Tot somebody said that the alcohol evaporates from the jelly. Isn't that a waste?...Anyway, I don;t really care for jelly...

Huai Bin said...

Excellant post! I love cooking with alcohol. ;)

Hmm...I think the alcohol content will be pretty much intact, unless you boil it too much. It's kinda like jello shots (that came in the popular test tubes a while back).

I shall try and do this, made a Dooley's toffee liqueur jelly mooncake once but the alcohol content was really low, due to a wrong implementation. The alcohol should always go in last, just before it goes into the chiller, so most of it is still retained.

Oh, and we're all not alcoholics. We're just social drinkers. It just so happens that we socialize every night. ;)

-eiling- said...

Foongpc: Thanks. It is really delicious..hehe..

Johnny: Definitely. As easy as ABC.

Fx: I don't think it's psycological reasons if she doesn't take alcohol. Probably it is a bit strong for her. I'm not really addicted to alcohol - I just enjoy it!

KY: okok I get it!

STP: So i see that you don't like jellies....Hmmm...

Huai Bin: Thanks. You should really buy another bottle of Mango because I did! 1 for keepsake and 1 for drinking! I didn't boil the alcohol, I just mix it in before pouring it into the mould. Maybe we should listen to KY and use the syringe when the jelly is about to set! You're right. We are all not alcoholic. We are just social drinkers. Cheers!

LD said...

now that is exotic!

-eiling- said...

LD: Yes. Me or the jelly?!!

LD said...

errrmmm, both?

:P

-eiling- said...

LD: That's a very good answer!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea, but didn't you notice that Absolut Mango doesn't taste or smell of mangoes, but instead, of guavas!

Cheers!

Huai Bin said...

You really shouldn't mention the word "syringe" in front of me. Seriously. I'll relapse. ;)

KY said...

Hahahah sorry Huai Bin, my bad. :P

Anonymous said...

Merci pour cette information interessante

Anonymous said...

One of the best articles I've actually ever studied in this issue. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Received a wonderful adventure and a excellent encounter through reading the article

Anonymous said...

Great piece of content material I have to admit. Well composed and very helpful, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Excellent data. I have undoubtedly figured out something new this afternoon! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi

Where did you get the agar agar powder? Your agar agar looks delicious.. The agar agar I made always turned out to be soft.

Jerelene

3iLinG © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO